Sunday, October 4, 2009

Wanted: Free Wi Fi

I have a confession to make. For the past nine months I have been "borrowing" other people's wireless internet. When I got my new laptop last year, it was immediately super stealth at detecting wireless connections from anywhere and everywhere. Like as soon as I took it out of the box and turned it on, it was all "hello, I've found you an internet connection!" So earlier this year when I made the switch over to the iPhone and I was going to be paying an extra $30 a month on the cell phone bill, I wanted to find a place to cut that expense out. My choices were to either quit the gym or drop my internet provider. Well this was back in the day when I was actually still working out and I wasn't even using my internet anymore, yet continued to pay it on "good faith" every month. So I officially quite Time Warner and have been living blissfully internet bill free ever since. I had three neighbors who didn't have passwords on their wireless access, so I jumped around from the three of them and was home free, quite literally. Today, only one of those open networks is still available and it's been pretty spotty here lately and this entire weekend its been zilch. No connection.

I have been oh so lonely.

So I packed up my computer and all its cords this morning and sought out some free Wi Fi. Library? Boring. Starbucks? I don't even like coffee! Corner Bakery? Bingo! I snagged a back corner booth, ordered an oatmeal cookie and have access to not only the free Wi Fi, but an endless supply of Diet Coke refills! I may never leave here. Well, at least not until my battery runs out because I can't seem to find an outlet anywhere around here. In the meantime, I'm (finally) downloading the iPhone update (picture text messages! about time!) and getting my fill of wedding blogs that I have been so deprived of all weekend. And looking hardcore at wedding dresses because we are going to look on Wednesday! Me = stoked.

1 comment:

sara [at] journey of doing said...

I bet Galleria has free wi-fi... and there's a new tasty yogurt place in there, too.

Plus, you would be across the street from me, and I could bring my laptop and we could be friends.