Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Bride Wars

Today was a bit of a halt on my Recently Engaged Aura of Bliss. I had my mind set on a June wedding. I was going to be a June bride, I just hadn't booked the church or reception site to confirm the date, but I had my eye on June 12. Yesterday Mark and I met with a photographer, who I immediately fell in love with. He gave us the "you better pick your date and book us ASAP because we are filling up for next June" speech, so this morning I called the church and left a message with the Office Manger and then called up the reception site to get the scoop on their rules for decorating, just to solidify that it was THE place. Well their rules are nice and lax, but June 2010? Completely booked up! How does a town with a population of 1,500 already have a whole month of weddings booked up a year from now? I want to call up those small town brides and demand that they switch their dates for me!

As per usual, I teared up a little at this discovery. My entire idea of a June wedding went out the window. Now what? There is literally NO WHERE ELSE up there to have a reception. Believe you me. We have looked. And looked some more. Mark and I have said since looong before we got engaged that we wouldn't do a spring wedding. We hate the spring. The fall is just too close. I know I can physically plan a wedding in six months, but I really want a long engagement so I can spread out parties, showers and all the DIY craft projects I've got floating around in my head. Being engaged is fun. I want to milk it as long as I can.

But July? Ahh. That is SO far away. I don't want to rush and get to my wedding, but I do want to BE MARRIED already. Live in the same house as Mark. Get out of my lame-o apartment and move all my stuff up to his place. Have us come home to see each other EVERY DAY. So I cried on the phone to Mark and said yes I could wait until June 12, but July 10? I JUST CANNOT DO IT. He basically told me to sleep on it and see how I feel in the morning. I'm already gaining some perspective though. I can wait one more month to have that summer wedding I've been dreaming up for the past month. If we didn't go July, we'd bump it up to May 8, which would be exactly one year to the day that we got engaged. So it's either 11 months or 13 months. I can handle the extra two. I already emailed the photographer and (keep your fingers crossed!) if he's free I'll probably book it all tomorrow and finally have an answer to the "have you set a date yet?" question.

Oh and the very strangest part of my day was that I missed the return call from the church and checked my voicemail after dinner with my mom and sister today. It was from the priest at my parents' church. SOOOOOO weird. He sounded so serious. I am a little bit terrified of calling him back tomorrow. So intimidating!

1 comment:

sara [at] journey of doing said...

June 12 is my parents' anniversary!

I'm so excited about your engagement and your wedding. Let's get together in a couple weeks to celebrate. :) (Let's do it when Sean gets here, and Mark can come, too!)

Priest thinks marriage is serious stuff maybe? LOL! How funny!