Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Where'd she go?



I’m back. My brief hiatus is solely because I have been so busy lately. I met some friends for happy hour yesterday and we had this very conversation. One is a student in her last year of law school. One just started her own PR business. One is a PT and recently bought her first house with her husband way up north. We pondered over how we manage to always be so busy that even getting a date on the calendar for us to all get together is nearly impossible. Two other girls couldn’t make it at all and we’ve been planning this date since Christmas! I don’t work dreadful long hours, yet there are never enough hours in the day, week, or month. But, I’d always rather be busy than bored.

Anyways. One of the main things I was doing all last week was prepping for the Super Bowl Party at Mark’s. I always knew it would take actually inviting people over to really get the ball moving on decorating the house. We painted, cleaned, shopped, changed out his ancient framed photos, hung something over the mantle, rearranged, laid some stones in the backyard, bathed the dogs, bathed the cat (!), baked galore, grilled burgers, made dips with chips and dips with veggies, scrubbed the bathrooms and washed the windows (inside AND out). Just before people started arriving for the game, we stood back and admired out work. The house looked great.

The party was also a lot of fun. We had a good group of people come over and two of them even brought their dogs. I watched more of the four dogs chasing each other around the house and yard than I did most of the first half of the game! They all got along so well and it was hilarious to watch them play together. Everyone brought delicious food and we ate and ate and ate. In fact, we’re still eating the leftovers. Leftover burgers, leftover cookies, leftover cupcakes, leftover veggies, leftover chips and dip, leftover beer. No complaints, other than the extreme unhealthiness of most all of it. I ordered Mark to eat all the cookies before I returned to his house later this week. I think he’s taking my command pretty seriously, since he told me he had seven cookies with lunch yesterday!

In the middle of all the prepping for our gathering, I of course went to buy the iPhone. I won’t dwell on it. I know it is extremely annoying when people talk about their phones all the time. Play on their phones all the time. Email on their phones all the time. Text on their phones all the time. Use the facebook application to check photo updates on their phones all the time. Respond to every ring or ding or beep on their phones when you are trying to have dinner or drinks or a conversation. And I am not becoming one of those people. But I am AMAZED with this phone. It’s been about four days and, as my friend at happy hour so eloquently put it last evening, the iPhone will change your life. And it is. Another friend told me that it’s as addictive as crack, which I am also finding to be true.

So yeah, we took a quick break Sunday morning to dash over to the mall and buy the phone. Then I tucked it away for the rest of the day and didn’t really bring it out until mid-football game, and then everyone got theirs out and we downloaded applications for a full hour. At least. Ahh. OK. That is the end of iPhone talk on this blog.

This week is slow at work and I'm finding it hard to start and stick to one project long enough to actually complete anything. My apartment is a mess and I need to do laundry, as well as hit up the treadmill. Super Bowl Sunday took a toll on the trip to the scale this week, so I'm hoping for a better try next Monday. I am looking forward to going to the cycling class tonight because it's been two weeks since I've had the time to go! I'll end with some photos from this weekend and a promise to be better on keeping things updated. Happy Hump Day to all.

Well, the photo went in on the top and I don't feel like taking the time to move itdown. You can see our nice new green wall in the picture, which was during the 3D commercial at the Super Bowl.

1 comment:

sara [at] journey of doing said...

Yay! Amanda's back! I've missed your blogs. (I am really that bored at work!) But, lucky you -- you were doing fun things!

Mark's house looks GREAT! I love that green color -- it works well with the pictures on the wall. Your party sounds fun, too... we had one last year (when I was still in CA), and the leftovers were daunting. It was truly ridiculous. Glad to hear Mark's taking one for the team with the cookies though! :)

As for the gym, I work out at LA Fitness... I like the one on Coit/George Bush because it's closest to my apartment (in Richardson), but I go to one in Lake Highlands (on Skillman) to work out with my trainer... The area is a little sketch, but I like my trainer... I had a really bad experience at the one on Beltline in Richardson, which would be closest to my house. WOW, more information than you probably ever wanted to know.

Definitely NOT a super human running outside... Not even close. Barely human after sweating it out on the treadmill... Gosh I hate to run.

Congrats on getting your iPhone! I've been looking at the iTouch, and I am sorely tempted... Sounds like bad news though...

I get to see MBK in a week! :) :) :)