Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Disposable Cameras

Friends,

Do you even remember life before the digital camera? Remember when everyone would get a disposable camera and you would have to write your name with a sharpie on it so that you wouldn't get it mixed up with everyone else's? Last weekend I went to a Bachelorette Party for my good friend Stephanie. We went up to her parents' lake house near Gun Barrel City and spent three days working on our tans. I forgot to pack my digital camera, so I grabbed a disposable to document the weekend, like any good bridesmaid would. I had forgotten how much fun they are.

You can't take as many pictures as you want. You only get 24 chances and you can't review them to make sure the lighting was good and that no one got cropped out. You have to hold the little button to charge the flash for a few seconds before you snap your shot. You have to wind the film after each picture. The quote of the weekend was me yelling out "wait I have to wind my camera" every time I tried to take a pic. Everyone was forced to hold their poses for a little longer. Oh and there is no zoom. Well, actually there is. You walk a few steps closer.

There is also no instant gratification with disposable cameras. You have to take them to CVS, wait a few days, and then go pick up the prints. Who remembers life when it was like this? I am excited to get it developed though. There's that anticipation of all the pictures I get to see in a mere four days. I haven't felt that since I got my homecoming pictures developed back in 2000.

The B-ette party was a hit. We had an anatomically correct cake and a "surprise" lingerie shower. We played pin the pen15 on a poster with Mark's head taped to it (who all caught my reference to the Pen 15 club, circa 6th grade?). We spent hours laying on the dock with our swimsuits untied, all trying to avoid the strap lines for our dresses. We floated in the water on noodles that we unfortunately discovered were full of cockroaches (NOT cool!). We sat in the hot tub at night and talked about child birth entirely too often. We danced around to Whiteney Houston and sang all the songs from Moulin Rouge about seventeen times. We all got a little more excited for the wedding next month.

No comments: