Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Finally Looking Forward

This past Saturday I turned 25. Whoa. 25! Halfway to 50! A quarter of a century! My past few birthdays have been more of a let-down than a celebration. I didn't like this sinking into my 20's. It makes me feel old. I know I'm not, but I wanted to turn nineteen again and anxiously look forward to my 21st birthday. Have my college years still stretched out in front of me. Not know what I would do yet when I got to the grown-up world. But this year, it was different. The thought of getting older never even entered my mind. I don't want to go backwards anymore. I really like where I am now.

My 24th year was a really good one. I made a lot of big changes in my life. I got a new job, a new apartment and a new boyfriend. Two of my best friends got married, two more got engaged. I took trips to New York City, Las Vegas, Charleston, Philadelphia, Washington DC, Austin and Tulsa. I had some of the best times with the best friends. I started to actually think about my finances and attempted to save more money (hard to do with all the previously mentioned trips and weddings). I met the most wonderful boy who will actually drive back to McDonald's after we get home and realize they put cheese on my hamburger. And he doesn't care that I start to cry when I open the hamburger and realize it is in fact a cheese burger.

This year as I blew out the 25 candles on my Snickers ice cream cake (yum), I didn't even think to make a wish. I feel like I have it all now. For the first time since graduating, I wasn't sad to see another year go by; another year further away from the good days, another year to slowly grow up. I'm ready for the future now and I can't wait to see what twenty five has in store for me.

3 comments:

Morgan Ash said...

I am officially inspired. I have been thinking exactly the same thing lately about this birthday. Instead of cryng in the weeks leading to this birthday (as I have the past 3 years) I am excited. School, work and relationships (friends and a certain young man) are the most stimulating they have ever been. I love you, Manda!

Anonymous said...

I agree with you too! and good to know that all my friends are in a happy place too! As much as I complain about how much our twenties suck, they do have their advantages-we can have our wedding cake and eat it too! it's the best (but sometimes the worst) time in our life, so enjoy it. When life is this good, hopefully it has no where to go but up!? and snickers cake? what happened to getting a bowl of cheese with a candle in it? If you ever want to go back and be 19 again for a day, I'll go w/ ya
love ya~

Mary Beth said...

that was so well stated. ps. if i was with you when you opened that hamburger, i'd tell you to suck it up and i love you. wow...mark is a keeper.