Sunday, July 5, 2009

From Flab to Fab, Part 1

We had a slight change of plans this past weekend. Much to our dismay, our lake trip was canceled Friday morning due to an emergency in the family who owns the house we were heading to (all is well now). So here we were, me, Mark and his brother (fresh off the plane from across the ocean) with five days and zero plans. Everything turned out great and we had a nice holiday weekend, just not on a boat in the sun like we had originally planned. We saw fireworks twice, grilled out, spent about 12 hours at the pool, ate way too much, had ice cream EVERY day, went to three different malls, watched a lot of TV and overall had a fun and relaxing time together. Tomorrow I am still off work, so I'm meeting up with my sister to wrap up the long weekend in style. We might hit up the bridesmaid dress quest again, if we are so inclined. Or, we might just sit at the pool all day... again :)

Now, on to my newest mission: Flab to Fab. This is a phrase that is all over the wedding blogs, describing brides' quest to lose weight and tone up for their weddings. Because let's be honest, what is better motivation than you in a big white dress and photos that you'll look back on for your entire lifetime to drop a few pounds? I know I've been telling myself for years that the day I got engaged was going to be the day I signed up for a personal trainer and really hit the gym hardcore. Yet, It's been two months since I've got the ring on my finger and I'm still just skating along with my usual half-ass working out and eating terribly. My excuse? The wedding is still so very far away. But honestly, why should I not turn it up now and get myself in gear for a year of celebrating, showers, parties and general engagement bliss? I've got a lot of things between now and the big day that I am going to use for short term goals to work towards, starting with our engagement party on August 15. After that, we've got our engagement photos in October, the holiday (why not be super skinny for the holidays, right?!), I'll be a bridesmaid in February, we've got another wedding in May and then BAM it will be crunch time for my turn in the long dress and veil.

First short term goal - the engagement party in six weeks. I made myself a nice little calendar to check the days off and admire my sure to be success as I do P90X, the 30 Day Shred, run on the treadmill, lift weights in front of the television, walk during my lunch break, ANYTHING. I'll post update here to hold myself accountable. Feel free to pester me and post negative comments when I blog about eating ice cream every day or sitting around watching Say Yes to the Dress reruns for the fifth time, instead of heading to spin class on Thursday evenings.

1 comment:

sara [at] journey of doing said...

It sounds like you had the same weekend we did... but didn't get to see any fireworks.

And really, how much weight do you have to lose Amanda? You look fantastic! But, I will encourage you... if you do the same. No ring on my finger yet, but half down to my pre-Miss Texas Teen weight... that's incentive... maybe? boo.

GO RUN TOMORROW... then lay around at the pool. :)