Friday, April 11, 2008

Blackout

Dallas has been having its share of severe weather lately. Wednesday night we had a torrential storm with the threat of tornadoes and hail for most of the area. Our plans to go to the Rangers Game that night were canceled, so we ended up meeting my parents for dinner instead. I went to bed early once we got home, but was awakened by the rain and thunder around 3:45 the next morning. I saw that the power was knocked out and when my alarm went off a few hours later, it was still out. So I took a shower by candlelight, didn't blow dry my hair and dressed in the dark. The elevators and gates at my apartment complex didn't work, so I had to venture into the pitch black parking garage with only a flashlight to lead me to my car. It was a little on the scary side. Almost every stoplight was out on my way into work and trees and limbs littered the roads. To top matters off, I spent the rest of the day on a ranch in East Texas with sixty fourth graders. Needless to say, it was not the best of days.